Monday, April 9, 2012

Exercise 3: Writing Part 2 Redux

TWO FRIENDS 



Ext.
A man named Pete is sitting on a chair outside of a
starbucks on a college campus. He is leaning over the patio
table staring out into distance. A group of guys can be seen
playing basketball on the courts nearby. They are screaming
and shouting every time one of them makes a basket. Their
voices carry over to the man sitting staring aimlessly. He
focuses his gaze on them proceeds to get lost in their
performance.


A woman is seen standing mere feet from him talking loudly
on her cellphone


WOMAN
Literally my mother couldn’t even
figure out to work it and its like
2012 I felt so ashamed. Yeah I had
to do it for her. And then I had to
explain it after that.
Her one sided conversation draws Pete’s attention and he
cocks his head sideways to catch a glimpse of the woman
uttering all these hilarious words. When the woman notices
Peter staring at her she gives him a look of disgust and
saunters off in the opposite direction continuing her
conversation elsewhere.


Peter looks down at his wrist watch and then fixes his gaze
back over to the basketball players on the courtyard. A man
appears walking behind him and he sits down adjacent to Pete
without him noticing.


MYSTERY MAN (SAM)
Sorry I was late, man. Class ran
crazy long today and you know how
it is, right?
PETER
What the hell was so important Sam
that you couldn’t clue me in ahead
of time?
SAM
Sorry compadre, but I figured if I
told you via text you would stick
your hand through the phone and
strangle me.
Sam laughs half heartily and gives a sheepish smile.
(CONTINUED)


CONTINUED: 2.
PETER
Well what the hell is it that's so
catastrophic? Did you actually end
up hitting that homeless man that
walks down the highway? Ha ha

SAM
Nah its nothing life and death man
its more like ... Dropping out of
school to peruse grander things. Ya
know?


It takes a second for the info to really hit Peter and
register in his brain.


PETER
Wait... you're dropping out of
college? The fuck you are.
SAM
It’s not a big deal man. I have so
many plans and ideas... College is
just holding me back. You’ll see
how much I accomplish after leaving
this place.
PETER
You’re making a huge mistake, man,
trust me. Oh my god, you are
retarded, bro. You’re gonna be that
homeless man walking the highway in
a few months.
SAM
Ha ha you know that’s pretty funny
but I have friends that will give
me a place to stay till I find
myself a pad.
PETER
You make everything in life seem so
simple. Your parents are going to
kill you when they find out, you
know that right?
SAM
When I have my life in order, I will
tell them. They dont have to know
what I’m doing till then.
PETER
You can't hide something so major
from them. They will find out when
(MORE)
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 3.
PETER (cont’d)
They get something from the school
sent about dropping out.
SAM
Nahhh I’m gonna have my friend down
the street check out my mail and
lift any stuff from school. Simple
as that.
Sam had a goofy ass smile on his face when he finished his
sentence like he had definitive proof everything would be
okay. There had to be something wrong in that kids mind.


PETER
I can't stop you unless I tie you to
your desk and force you to stay but
I know you. Once you get something
in your mind you don't give up till
you’ve seen it through.


Peter sighs deeply and slides back into his chair knowing
that his friend is about to throw away his life.


SAM
I actually have an appointment with
an advisor on the other side of
campus so I have to run now, but
later I want to spend some time
with ya.
Sam goes over to Peter and gives him a hug which freaks him
a little because he is not used to this sort of behavior.


SAM
You are a good friend Pete, and
everything will be okay. When I
have my new place, you will be the
first one over and then we will
hang out all the time. All will
be well.
Peter does his best to crack a smile and nods along to his
friends words. Sam grabs his bag and runs off into the
distance getitng smaller and smaller. Pete watches as the
outline of his friend fades away and he knows he should have
done more to slap some sense into his friend. Peter slams
his head onto the table and sighs to himself.


End scene

1 comment:

  1. I still had a problem with uploading the PDF from Celtx so I tried to recreate the same formatting myself on blogger.

    ReplyDelete