Sunday, April 8, 2012

Exercise 3: Writing, Part 2

Ext.

A man named Pete is sitting on a chair outside of a starbucks on a college campus. He is leaning over the patio table staring out into distance. A group of guys can be seen playing basketball on the courts nearby. They are screaming and shouting every time one of them makes a basket. Their voices carry over to the man sitting staring aimlessly. He focuses his gaze on them proceeds to get lost in their performance.

A woman is seen standing mere feet from him talking loudly on her cellphone
Woman

Literally my mother couldn't even figure out to work it and its like 2012 I felt so ashamed. Yeah I had to do it for her. And then I had to explain it after that.

Her one sided conversation draws Pete's attention and he cocks his head sideways to catch a glimpse of the woman uttering all these hilarious words. When the woman notices Peter staring at her she gives him a look of disgust and saunters off in the opposite direction continuing her conversation elsewhere.
Peter looks down at his wrist watch and then fixes his gaze back over to the basketball players on the courtyard. A man appears walking behind him and he sits down adjacent to Pete without him noticing.

Sam
Sorry I was late man class ran crazy longs today and you know how it is right.

Peter
What the hell was so important Sam that you couldn't clue me in ahead of time.

Sam
Sorry compadre but I figured if i told you via text you would stick your hand through the phone and strangle me.

Sam laughs half heartily and gives a sheepish smile

Peter
Well what the hell is it thats so catastrophic did you actually end up hitting that homeless man that walks down the highway ha ha

Sam
Nah its nothing life and death man its more like ... Dropping out of school to peruse grander things. Ya know?
It takes a second for the info to really hit peter and register in his brain.

Peter
Wait... your dropping out of college? The fuck you are.

Sam
It's not a big deal man. I have so many plans and ideas and college is just holding me back. You'll see how much i accomplish after leaving this place.

Peter
You're making a huge mistake man trust me. Oh my god you are retarded bro. You're gonna be that homeless man walking the highway in a few months.

Sam
Ha ha you know that's pretty funny but I have friends that will give me a place to stay till I find myself a pad.

Peter
You make everything in life seem so simple. Your parents are going to kill you when they find out you know that right.

Sam
When I have my life in order I will tell them. They dont have to know what I'm doing till then.

Peter
You cant hide something so major from them. They will find out when they get something from the school sent about dropping out.

Sam
Nahhh I'm gonna have my friend down the street check out my mail and lift any stuff from school. Simple as that.

Sam had a goofy ass smile on his face when he finished his sentence like he had definitive proof everything would be okay. There had to be something wrong in that kids mind.

Peter
I cant stop you unless I tie you to your desk and force you to stay but I know you. Once you get something in your mind you dont give up till you've seen it through.

Peter sighs deeply and slides back into his chair knowing that his friend is about to throw away his life.

Sam
I actually have an appointment with an advisor on the other side of campus so I have to run now but later I want to spend some time with ya.

Sam goes over to Peter and gives him a hug which freaks him alittle because he is not used to this sort of behavior.

Sam
You are a good friend Pete and everything will be okay and when I have my new place you will be the first one over and then we will hang out all the time and all will be well.
Peter does his best to crack a smile and nods along to his friends words. Sam grabs his bag and runs off into the distance getitng smaller and smaller. Pete watches as the outline of his friend fades away and he knows he should have done more to slap some sense into his friend. Peter slams his head onto the table and sighs to himself.

End scene

No comments:

Post a Comment